Monday, 20 December 2010

BBC's Nativity: Modern Spin we Don't Need

The beauty of this scene would thrill a film audience and stir their souls.
One of my favourite Catholic bloggers is Linen on the Hedgerow (a great fighter for Catholic orthodoxy), and this (see link below) is one of the articles I've read on the BBC's 'Nativity'.

Now I know many a liberal will bemoan the fact that I won't watch it, whilst I will condemn it -- but I don't need to see a dog in the act of fouling the pavement down my street to understand how wrong it is when the children walk to school.

The obscenity that Our Lady, the Blessed Virgin Mary, was in some way raped, or a prostitute has been repeated ever since the days of the sadducees and pharisees and those who claimed (be they the Jewish authorities, gnostics, or other evil men) this have repeated the same old lie in the mistaken belief that their repetition of the lie will make it more acceptable.

Should we be shocked at the BBC's role in defaming the Virgin Mary, the Mother of the Redeemer of the World during Advent, as we approach the Feast of Christmas?

Yes - we should be shocked (but not surprised) and I think that all Catholics (and men of good will) should take this up with the BBC.

This is not an upset. This is not an offence. It is an absolute outrage that strikes at the very heart of our Faith, and at the very root of Christian history, and the central message of Christmas: that Our Lord was born of the Virgin Mary to save mankind.

That men with blackened hearts cannot accept this and so have to invent horrendous stories about the Blessed Virgin Mary reflects badly on them. There is not, has never been, and can never be, a single blemish on the Immaculate Heart of Mary.

We are reminded of this when we read that beautiful verse that is the Magnificat:
My soul doth magnify the Lord.
And my spirit hath rejoiced in God my Saviour.
Because he hath regarded the humility of his handmaid;
for behold from henceforth all generations shall call me blessed.
Because he that is mighty,
hath done great things to me;
and holy is his name.
And his mercy is from generation unto generations,
to them that fear him.
He hath shewed might in his arm:
he hath scattered the proud in the conceit of their heart.
He hath put down the mighty from their seat,
and hath exalted the humble.
He hath filled the hungry with good things;
and the rich he hath sent empty away.
He hath received Israel his servant,
being mindful of his mercy:
As he spoke to our fathers,
to Abraham and to his seed for ever.
 
Luke 1:46-55

As Richard at Linen on the Hedgerow says, why must we have these "contemporary" versions and stories, when the Gospel is written so beautifully?


Might we hope, one day, for a faithful, beautiful, moving and stirring Catholic telling of the nativity - perhaps on a par with Mel Gibson's The Passion of the Christ? That film won over so many souls to Christ; even I knew agnostics and atheists who opened their hearts to Catholicism as a result of that film. Not all converted, but some did and others at least softened their stance re. the Church and Christ.

With all the influence, intelligence and (dare I say?) money that the Church and we millions of Catholics have between us (we could put in £5 each!) we could make a film that could win countless more souls for Christ and His Church...

Apologies for rambling on. But for every evil and smear the BBC can put out, if we Catholics even answered one in ten, it would have a great impact.

Years ago the Church won hearts, minds and souls with the beauty of its liturgy, buildings, altars, statues and the way all was bound seamlessly together (lessons I believe we have forgotten or neglected after Vatican 2 - to the detriment of both Catholics and mankind in general).

Just imagine if we remembered how to win hearts and minds again? A crusade to win souls for Christ using the tools that the enemies of the Church in the BBC and Hollywood have used to besmirch Christ and His Church, and to blacken more souls with the filth and blasphemy they spew forth.

We all saw how, when Pope Benedict visited our shores (I know he didn't visit Wales, but perhaps it would have been too emotional for him ;-) ) Catholics and men of good will rallied to the Papal banner to proclaim the Christian roots of these islands and to make a stand, to show that people of goodwill still exist, that beauty still has a place in a world we all too often think are full of drugs, violence, obscenity and evil.

The BBC (and others) hinted that the visit would be a failure, that people in Britain were living in a 'post-Christian multi-cultural' land in which homosexual rights now counted for more than Catholic artifacts, or where atheists' writings were devoured more readily than the turgid output of a maligned and shamed priesthood.

They were wrong.

And they can be proved wrong again.


That is my sincere hope and prayer today in the face of a moribund and moth-eaten output by the BBC, for these lies that they tell are old lies.

Meanwhile let us all pray to Our Lord and Our Lady that the calumnies of the media-men might be forgiven, in the words of Our Lord crucified: forgive them, for they know not what they do.

Link:
Linen on the Hedgerow

9 comments:

  1. Thanks for this...I had to fight to not let my little ones watch this! The older girls ran to find a TV so they could make up their own mind..they didn't comment much..but I don't care I made my point!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Gareth

    I really enjoyed it and did not find it offensive. I'm not sure how it defamed the Virgin Mary? I hope it will continue to present the story of the Nativity in a fresh and contemporary way and hopefully lead some to read the Scripture for themselves.

    Thanks for your blog!

    Brian

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Gareth, I am truly honoured at such a mention. God bless you - and me a humble Sais as well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. actually it is so far very good and faithfull to tradition and the bible. try watching it tonight and then decide.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for all the comments (Richard, I look on you as an honourary Cymry). I actually sneaked a peek (I know, I am a liberal at heart) and saw the Angel Gabriel as a bloke off the street. My point (and Richard's) is that why this 'naturalised' version (I amagine Richard Dawkins watching it and saying "see, Gabriel was just some nutter fresh from the pub") when a version faithful to the Gospel would be breath-taking.

    I don't know when the acussations of rape/prostitution appear but they have been widely reported, and I find that highly offensive to Our Lady and Our Lord.

    if they want to do a "modern" tale of Catholic Charity then why not do a collage of stories on the countless priests, nuns and other religious who have helped the hungry, dying, destitute etc.

    The story of Frank Duff and his Legion of Mary, working amongst the prostitutes and drug-dependent lowly of Dublin might be a heart-rending tale for Christmas, for example.

    Why do "modern" and "relevant" tales seem to detract so much from the Gospel tale - and the piece showing the Angel Gabriel and Our Lady certainly detracted from the important part of Catholic history, liturgy, theology etc: Hail full of grace, the Lord is with Thee.

    or should we change the Ave Maria to: "Yo, W'appenin', God am well pleased wiv you, innit."

    I will watch it tonight with suitable attire (boxing gloves and daps - that's training shoes for anyone outside Wales - ready to jump up and run to belt the TV one if I find it offensive). I do fear a fully fledged at-TV-rant though if I spot a typical BBC-agenda at work...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Boy did you get this wrong. Watch the thing. Deal with the reality and not the gossip.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ian H.

    I did watch it (see my later blog entry) and it merely confirmed my fears.

    Theologically it was mushy at best, dualistic and heretical at worst.

    It won't bring about any conversions to the Faith because it gets the story of the Holy Family and Mary's role in our salvation spectacularly WRONG.

    See my other article and responses to it for further details.

    I am happy to be criticised, but please do so from a informed position.

    Nadolig Llawen i chi.

    ReplyDelete