Friday, 7 January 2011

Famous Welsh Catholics: Author Michael Davies

Michael Davies on pilgrimage to Chartres
In an effort to bolster the Faith of the Welsh and remind Catholics and non-Catholics alike of our heritage and roots in the Catholic Church, I thought I'd start an irregular series of posts on Welsh Catholic figures that will inspire, educate and enthral.

Just the other day I came across a booklet I hadn't seen/read for many years. The booklet is entitled The Barbarians Have Taken Over and is by the author Michael Davies.

I thought I'd check online to see if his other works are available and found a Wikipedia page on him, which states:
He was brought up in Yeovil, Somerset,[3] although he was said to be proud of his Welsh descent.
I haven't read his weightier tomes, but my understanding is that Davies' outlook is that Vatican 2 did not mandate many of the changes in the liturgy and the layout of Churches -- rather it was the misinterpretation of Vatican 2, or vague and ambiguous texts used to justify what many have since called "the spirit of Vatican 2" -- spearheaded by Arbishop Bugnini.

One things is for sure, Michael Davies was a serious scholar and researcher, was a devout Catholic concerned at the loss of Faith by so many souls in our times, and his writings make for disturbing, but essential, reading.

Michael Davies, Catholic apologist, Defender of the Faith who when asked what he'd like to see before he died, in his last interview, replied:
"I want to see Wales win the Six Nations [rugby championship] once more."
Please pray for the repose of the soul of Michael Treharne Davies.

Link:
Michael Davies on Wikipedia
The Last Interview
The Catholic Sanctuary & The Second Vatican Council by Michael Davies
In Memoriam

3 comments:

  1. Michael Davies was one of our finest contemporary minds with regard to liturgical changes and their history.
    His book are all invaluable in helping to identify what went wrong and why it is still going wrong.
    His only failing was to back Wales in the Six Nations :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooh. You don't know how close I came to deleting that last comment! Not to support Wales? That comes perilously close to schismatic tendencies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hadn't realised he was Welsh - I met his widow and son at a dinner to honour the Holy Father's visit to the UK, and his grave is in the churchyard at Chislehurst...

    Great blog, BTW - I've added you to my blogroll!

    ReplyDelete