Monday, 18 April 2011

Communion in the Hand - More Arguments Against

With a h/t to Last Papist Standing, always a provocative, totally traditional and thoroughly Catholic read!




I know I am not a theologian, nor a bishop, nor a priest; but I cannot help but notice that Communion in the hand is growing in countries where belief in the Real Presence, including belief that the Host is the ENTIRE BODY, BLOOD, SOUL AND DIVINITY of OUR LORD JESUS CHRIST, is on the decline.

Just the other week I was surrounded by a well-meaning group of Catholics demanding Communion in both kinds because otherwise they weren't receiving the entirity of Jesus - in their opinion they weren't getting His Blood.

I argued against this. I stated the Truth, that the Sacred Species, the Host (under the outward appearance of unleavened bread) is the ENTIRE BODY, BLOOD, SOUL AND DIVINITY of OUR LORD JESUS CHRIST.

They told me I was WRONG!

Honestly.

I told them to "go check with the priest," and I moved on to talk Church history and architechture etc. with another parishioner.

The priest did confirm with the group of people that they were wrong and that the Host is Christ in His entirety.

Now I had to speak out. It wasn't pride. It was not for ruffling feathers, or to be contentious. I genuinely get outraged, on behalf of my Lord and my God, when people - but especially Catholics, do not understand that the Church teaches us QUITE CLEARLY that the Host we receive is indeed the ENTIRE BODY, BLOOD, SOUL AND DIVINITY of OUR LORD JESUS CHRIST.

I don't think the facts could be more obvious. Sadly, some people in the pews do NOT comprehend this. It is the duty of the Church, and its members, to impart this knowledge to the Faithful who may not understand.

It is my belief that Communion in the hand has resulted in this lack of understanding, and this lack of understanding is resulting in Communion in the hand.

It is not false piety, it is not being "holier than thou." It is quite simply the fact that I understand that the Host is the ENTIRE BODY, BLOOD, SOUL AND DIVINITY of OUR LORD JESUS CHRIST, and dear God in heaven knows that I, along with most people approaching His Altar, are unworthy ("simply say the word and I shall be healed") ipso facto Communion on the tongue is the ONLY logical conclusion if we (as we should!) truly believe that what we are receiving is the ENTIRE BODY, BLOOD, SOUL AND DIVINITY of OUR LORD JESUS CHRIST.

3 comments:

  1. It is not easy to speak out must we must do it more and more. Well done for stating one of the elemental truths of the faith.

    ReplyDelete
  2. very brave of you!. Not easy to be the lone voice and uphold what is good and true.
    Wishing you a very happy and holy Easter.
    Blessings and prayers,
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  3. Honestly Ann I hope it doesn't come across as brave, nor conceited, nor pious. When Our Lord is snubbed like that (even from a stance of ignorance) I really feel honour bound to speak out and defend His Rights. I've done it before and I'll do it again. Having read works by good Catholics and superb priests who know more than I will ever learn, it is they and their apologetics that gives me the surety to speak out. I am not brave at all.

    ReplyDelete